Enjoy the unexpected pleasure of Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins! Where the sweet, juicy essence of pears blends perfectly with the bold, creamy tang of Gorgonzola cheese!
Perfect for brunch, a sophisticated dinner or a buffet, these muffins are sure to captivate your senses and leave you wanting more!
Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins are a savory version of the classic fluffy sweet muffin.
The star of this recipe is Gorgonzola cheese, a delicacy and an Italian excellence.
Gorgonzola is a creamy cheese typical of Northern Italy, especially Lombardy. Because of its strong and distinctive flavor, it’s often paired with sweet pears to create a truly amazing contrast.
For this preparation, it’s best to use pears that are not too ripe but still firm. As for the Gorgonzola, you can choose between a spicy or a sweet Gorgonzola, depending on your taste and the more or less pronounced flavor you want to achieve.
Very soft and moist to the right point, the Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins are really easy to make and will be perfect on your buffets!
Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins are great lukewarm, eaten as soon as they come out of the oven, inviting and flavorful. But they are also delicious at room temperature. And they stay soft for a long time!
Learn how to make Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins by following my step-by-step recipe with instructions and tips.
Doses for 20 cm (8 inch) non-stick springform pan with removable bottom
- Prep Time: 15 Min
- Cook Time: 20 Min
- Servings: 12 muffins
- 150 g (1/3 pound) of gorgonzola cheese. If you prefer a milder taste, try gorgonzola dolce. On the other hand, if you want a stronger taste, try gorgonzola piccante.
- 350 g (3/4 pound) of pears with firm pulp (2-3 pears, depending on the size)
- 200 g (1 1/3 cups) of flour
- 100 ml (2/5 cup) of milk, at room temperature
- 100 ml (2/5 cup) of sunflower oil
- 60 g (3/4 cup) of grated Parmigiano cheese. Try authentic Italian Parmigiano Reggiano DOP aged 24 months
- 3 eggs
- 16 g (4 teaspoons) of instant dry yeast
- fine salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
Kitchen Tools and Equipment
To make these savory muffins, here are some essential kitchen tools:
- Mixing Bowls: They are used to combine the ingredients. Ideally, you should have a few of different sizes to separate the dry ingredients from the wet ingredients and to combine and sift the powders.
- A very fine sieve: To sift the flour together with the baking powder and add it to the dough without forming lumps.
- A hand whisk: A hand whisk is needed to mix all the ingredients well.
- Muffin molds: There are different types. I used a single baking pan with 12 nonstick KitchenAid molds. You can also use individual Silicone Cupcake or Aluminum Foil Ramekins.
Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins Recipe: Instructions
Step 1) – To make Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins, first break 3 eggs in a large bowl and beat them lightly with a whisk. Add a pinch of fine salt and, if you like, a little ground black pepper. Then add 100 ml (2/5 cup) room temperature milk and stir. Finally, add 100 ml (2/5 cup) sunflower oil.
Step 2) – Chop 150 grams (1/3 pound) of Gorgonzola cheese and add to the mixture, mixing well.
PLEASE NOTE: Before you chop the Gorgonzola, you must carefully remove the rind from the cheese. Unlike other types of cheese, the rind of Gorgonzola is NOT edible.
Step 3) – Wash and peel the pears. Cut them into fairly small pieces. Add the pears to the mixture and combine.
PLEASE NOTE: You will need about 350 grams (3/4 pound) of pears. Of course, the amount of pears will vary depending on their size. Choose pears that are ripe but firm and not too watery.
Step 4) – In another bowl, sift 200 grams (1 1/3 cups) of flour with 16 grams (4 teaspoons) of instant dry yeast. Add to the mixture a little at a time. Mix well to combine.
Step 5) – Using a spoon, scoop the resulting mixture into the muffin pan.
PLEASE NOTE: Fill the muffin pan only 3/4 full as the mixture will expand significantly during baking.
Step 6) – Bake the Gorgonzola and Pear Muffins in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 20 minutes. At the end of the baking time, the muffins will be puffy and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the muffin pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
YOU MUST ALSO TRY:
- Risotto with Gorgonzola, Pear and Walnuts
- Grapes Dipped in Gorgonzola and Pistachios
- Easter cheese bread
- Easy Homemade Savory Panettone for Beginners
- Parmigiano Balls Recipe
Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins will keep at room temperature in a plastic bag or airtight container in a cool, dry place for about 3 days.
Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins: Tips and Variations
- WALNUTS: You can add walnuts to Pear and Gorgonzola Muffins. Walnuts go so well with gorgonzola that in Italy you can often find gorgonzola in stores already covered with shelled walnuts. Add 10-15 coarsely chopped walnuts to the mixture. This not only adds flavor, but also a very tasty crunchy element.
- DOLCE O PICCANTE? There are different types of gorgonzola, more or less creamy and more or less spicy. For this recipe, you can choose between Gorgonzola dolce (sweet) and piccante (spicy), depending on your taste.
- GORGONZOLA SUBSTITUTE: If you do not like gorgonzola, you can substitute it with other cheeses. However, I recommend using flavorful cheeses that are not too mild. For example, fairly aged pecorino or caciocavallo. The key to this recipe is to create a contrast with the sweetness of the pear.
- SMALLER MUFFINS: You can enjoy these pear and gorgonzola muffins as an appetizer or with an aperitif. If you want to serve them during a dinner or a party and prefer small bites for finger food, you can prepare them in the smaller molds.. The quantities shown make about 24 small Pear and Gorgonzola muffins.
YOU CAN FIND THE FULL RECIPE WITH PHOTOS, TIPS AND VARIATIONS ABOVE!
- Beat the eggs lightly with a whisk. Add a pinch of fine salt and a little ground black pepper. Then add the milk at room temperature and the sunflower oil.
- Chop the Gorgonzola cheese and add to the mixture, mixing well.
- Cut the pears into fairly small pieces and add to the mixture.
- Sift the flour with the instant dry yeast. Add to the mixture a little at a time. Mix well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the muffin pan. Fill the muffin pan only 3/4 full as the mixture will expand significantly during baking.
- Bake the Gorgonzola and Pear Muffins in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for about 20 minutes. At the end of the baking time, the muffins will be puffy and golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the muffin pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.