Apricot Cake with Fresh Apricots is a perfect summer dessert, easy to make, light and tasty.
Fresh apricots at this time of year are juicy and sugary, giving your desserts an irresistible flavor!
This recipe calls for very little sugar, because well-ripened apricots are already quite sweet, and NO BUTTER, so the result is a delicious and light cake. The very soft and moist texture makes it tender and even more delicious.
We decided to make it in a rectangular shape and serve it in squares to leave whole apricot halves in each portion with a dusting of powdered sugar on top.
You can make apricot cake recipe in just a few minutes with a couple of very common ingredients, often already available at home.
A very simple and fluffy cake, with lots of good apricots in season, perfect for breakfast or a snack.
Apricot cake is perfect as a summer dessert, served with a scoop of whipped cream or fior di latte gelato.
Besides being delicious in its simplicity, apricot cake recipe with fresh apricots is also very beautiful and colorful and will brighten your table with the colors of summer!
- Prep Time: 15 Min
- Cook Time: 30 Min
- Servings: 6
Doses for an approximately 25×30 cm (11 x 9 inch) rectangular baking pan
Apricot Cake Recipe: Instructions
Step 1) – In a bowl, combine the egg and sugar. Whisk quickly for a few minutes.
Step 2) – Add the zest and juice of one organic lemon.
Step 3) – Whisk again and pour in the sunflower oil and milk.
Step 4) – Gradually stir in the sifted flour and baking powder, mixing well with a whisk until smooth.
Step 5) – Wash and dry the apricots. Cut them in half and remove the pit.
Line the baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F). Pour the mixture into the baking pan and level it with a spatula.
Step 6) – Place the apricots on top of the cake, curved side up. Bake in a static oven at 180°C (356°F) for about 30 minutes.
The cake should not be very golden and the final texture of the cake should be moist and soft. In fact, when tested with a toothpick, the cake should not come out completely dry, but some crumbs should stick out.
Step 7) – Allow the apricot cake to cool, then dust with icing sugar. Cut the cake into squares so that there is an apricot on each portion.
YOU MUST ALSO TRY:
How to Store Apricot Cake
You can store apricot cake in a cool, dry place under a glass dome for about 2 days.
Given the moist and soft texture of apricot cake, and considering that it is a summer dessert, we recommend that you also try it cold from the refrigerator; it is very good and refreshing!
If you keep it in the refrigerator, you can eat it even after 3 or 4 days.
Freezing is not recommended.
Apricot Cake Recipe with Fresh Apricots: Some Variations
Here are some variations of the apricot cake recipe made with fresh apricots:
- APRICOTS IN PIECES: If you like a more homogeneous texture between the dough and the fruit, you can also add apricots in smaller pieces instead of whole apricots.
- APRICOTS IN SYRUP: If you want to enjoy this dessert all year round and not just in summer, you can also use apricots in syrup.
- WITH PINEAPPLES: In addition to apricots, you can use other summer fruits in the same way. Some suggestions? Pineapple and peaches are great for this recipe with or instead of apricots.
- ALCOHOL: If you want to give it an alcoholic touch, you can add about 80 ml (~5 tablespoons) of liqueur to the mixture instead of lemon juice. Limoncello or rum are fine.
- DECORATION: If you want to enrich this cake made with fresh apricots, you can sprinkle the surface with almond slivers or crumbled amaretti in addition to the icing sugar. For a very nice color effect and also for extra flavor, you can sprinkle the apricot cake with pistachio granules and decorate with mint leaves.
How to Serve Apricot Cake with Fresh Apricots
This apricot cake recipe, with its soft and moist texture, is very good when served with Italian gelato.
The most recommended flavors are Fior di latte Gelato and Cream Gelato. You will have a fresh and delicious dessert for hot summer days!