Chicken with bell peppers onion and olives is a tasty and dainty dish, very simple to make and therefore perfect if you are looking for quick recipes for lunch or dinner.
The strong flavor of the bell pepper perfectly matches the sweetness of the onion and the delicacy of the chicken, creating a perfect mix of flavors that will allow you to serve the chicken breast in an alternative way. We chose red bell peppers, but you can use green ones or even both. For an alternative recipe, you can substitute bell peppers with zucchini or eggplants.
In Italy, chicken with bell peppers onion and olives is considered a complete second course, so usually eaten after a plate of pasta or risotto. But it can be enjoyed even as a sole dish, with slices of bread or boiled Basmati rice.
So now let’s see together how to make chicken with bell peppers, onion and olives recipe.
Chicken with Bell Peppers, Onion and Olives Recipe
- 2 boneless chicken breast halves without skin
- 2 red peppers
- 1/3 cup of Taggiasca olives, pitted (or Kalamata)
- 1 medium onion
- 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
1) – So let’s show you how to cook chicken with bell peppers onion and olives. First of all wash the bell peppers then remove stems, seeds and inner white. Finally cut the bell peppers into strips. Cut the far ends of the onion, then peel and slice it. Simmer the onion for 3-4 minutes in a large non stick skillet with 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
2) – Add the bell peppers and cook for 15-20 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon and add a little water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper, then turn off the heat and leave aside.
3) – Now cut the chicken breasts into small pieces, flour them and shake them down to remove excess flour. In a different pan, heat 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and then add the chicken.
4) – Cook the chicken over high heat for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add bell peppers, onion and finally the pitted olives. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Chicken with bell peppers, onion and olives now is ready. Season with salt and pepper if necessary, then serve.